Mt. Annpaurna Region
The Annapurna Conservation Area Project. has been claimed as one of the best trekking spots in the world and one of the popular trekking spots in the in the country. The area covers Kaski, Mustang, Manang and Lamjung districts of western Nepal. Beginning 790 meters, the area reaches as high as 8,091 meters of Mt. Annapurna. Ghandruk and Ghorepani treks offers breathtaking and panoramic view of the Annapurna, Nilgiri and Dhaulagiri ranges. In spring, special attractions are the surrounding green hills blooming red, pink and white rhododendron flowers. The area also includes famous Mt. Annapurna Circuit Trek and Mustang via Manang and Jomsom. In the circuit route, is the famous Hindu religious sites Muktinath Temple. The trek southeast from Jomsom, leads to the scenic Tilicho Lake aat an altitude of 4,919 meters between Kaligandaki and Manang Valley.
Ever since this previously forbidden mountain kingdom was opened for tourists in 1991, the deluge of tourists flocking there has not stopped. This despite the US$ 700 special permit required to enter and spend ten days there. .An additional fee of US$ 70 per day is levied for extensions.. Most trekkers prefer to fly to Jomsom rather than take the seven-days walk from Pokhara to reach it. Lho is geographically and culturally a part of Tibet. The arid, barren land, with pockets of fertile oases, is unlike any other part of Nepal. The life style of the Loba, people of Lho is also unique. The trip to the capital of Lho, Lho Manthang, and back takes around ten days and can be done by partly retracing the way in or by taking a circuitous trail through the outposts of this ancient kingdom.
1. Some of the world’s highest peaks .Annapurna I .8,091 m., Mt. Fishtail .6,993m..
2. World’s deepest gorge: Kali Gandaki and one of the world’s highest altitude lake Tilicho.
3. Most popular trekking destination.
4. 22 different forest types.
5. A total of 1226 species of plants .1140 species in the Himalayas. including 38 Orchid species and 9 Rhododendron species.
6. 101 species of mammals including snow leopard, Musk deer, Tibetan Argali, Tibetan wolf, Tibetan fox. 474 species of birds including 38 breeding species of birds at risk in Nepal, all six Himalayan pheasants found in Nepal. 39 species of reptiles and 22 species of amphibians.
7. Nepal’s Largest protected area and first conservation area with the entire habitat gradient from sub tropical sal forest to perennial snow.
8. More than 100,000 inhabitants and more than 10 ethnic groups .Tibeto Burmese: Gurung, Thakali, Bhotia, Ethnic Tibetan and Magar and Indo Aryan: Brahmin, Kshetri, Kami, Damai and Sarki.
Annnapurna area conservation is located near Pokhara , a town easily accessible from Kathmandu by air and road to Pokhara . Walk 1.5 days to reach to Ghandruk via Dhampus -Landruk.Annapurna sanctuary and base camp is located at 6-7 days trek from Ghandruk.
Day 01: Kathmandu – Pokhara. By flight.
Day 02: Pokhara – Jomsom – Kagbeni. By flight and trek.
Day 03: Kangbeni – Chele. Trek.
Day 04: Chele-Shyangmochen. Trek.
Day 05: Shyangmochen – Giling. Trek.
Day 06: Giling – Tsarang. Trek.
Day 07: Tsarang – Lo Manthang. Trek.
Day 08: Lho Manthang – Tingkar – Lho Manthang. Trek.
Day 09: Lho Mangtang – Tsarang. Trek.
Day 10: Tsarang – Tangya. Trek.
Day 11: Tangya – Tsale. Trek.
Day 12: Tsale – Nari. Trek.
Day 13: Nari – Muktinath. Trek.
Day 14: Muktinath – Jomsom. Trek.
Day 15: Jomsom – Pokhara or Kathmandu. By flight.
Options from Kagbeni and Jomsom
Option 1. To Muktinath.
Option 2. Extension to Manang crossing Throng Pass.
Option 3. Drive to Tatopani Bazar and trek to Ghorepani-Ghandruk and Mt. Annapurna Sanctuary (ABC).